Afghan Box Camera

3 12 2012

Well, I’ve got a week off work at the moment, due to having a pile of holiday to take. So there’s a week now, and a fortnight in February during which J and I will be visiting Berlin. Pretty excited about that, just got to decide which camera/s to take along!

This week, however, is largely dedicated to Creative Things. It’s got off to a great start, with some wall space for my Floriography work at my favourite local coffee shop, a 5×4 pinhole nearly completed, and a joint effort (although it’s J’s baby, really) construction of an Afghan box camera.

The main bulk is constructed from 9mm MDF, with some thick cardboard as a (maybe temporary solution) to make the moving parts. We hijacked the lens from an old, cheaper model Kodak Brownie Junior (a 620 camera I could never be bothered respooling 120 for – although now it’s lensless, I’m considering making a pinhole plate for it; I find I have much more motivation to do fiddly things, like respool film, where pinholes are concerned).

This has been a couple of days worth of cutting, drilling and sanding in a freezing cold workshop (although the gluing time wasn’t so bad – we just clamped the lot together and buggered off back into the warm house for a few hours).

Making the focussing system:

Gluing the parts together:

Pretty much finished!

Now all that’s really left is to find some trays for the chemicals, and test her out. Hopefully tomorrow.

The 5×4 is pretty much in one piece now, all that’s left is to cover it in vinyl leatherette (entirely for aesthetic purposes – the wood is cheap pine, so got a bit tatty whilst planing and sanding, then I managed to cover half of it in paint whilst spraying the interior flat black) and add a hinge, lock and shutter. Maybe a tripod mount. I’m determined to finish it by the end of the week, so I’ll write more about it then.

Lastly, a small picture of my work up on display 🙂



Summer Exhibition

17 06 2012

I’ve been pretty occupied recently working on and finalising a piece for an exhibition at a local venue this summer.
The exhibition is Another Spot on the Wall at The Station in Richmond, North Yorkshire.

Entry is free, there are 150 artists exhibiting a huge variety of media, and it will run for 8 weeks from Saturday July 12th. If you’re in the area, I recommend a visit. The Station houses a small cinema, as well as an excellent restaurant/food court, and several small shops selling local produce.

I’ve been working on an ongoing project centred around the mythology of flowers, and inspired specifically by the Victorian Language of Flowers. The piece I will be exhibiting is one of the first completed pieces resulting from the project, and is a limited edition 12 x 16 black and white photograph, printed on silver gelatin paper.

This forthcoming exhibition has also highlighted the need for me to have a proper website. It’s still very much in the ‘building’ stages, but there’s a little work on there, and more content to be added over the course of the next three weeks. I’ll be keeping it as simple as it is now, because whilst flash websites look beautifully polished, I’m of the opinion that they do more to display web design prowess than they do to showcase art work. Personally, I prefer a website to open rapidly, and be simple to navigate at my own speed, over having to wait for every page to load, and launch straight into a slideshow.

Now that the exhibition piece is printed, framed and mounted, my time is free to resume working on the project, so my next blog post will contain some actual pictures, and a bit of detail on exactly where I’m at regarding that.

%d bloggers like this: